Saturday, September 1, 2007

The Game

His knight invades,
Gallant conqueror of my defenses.
Briefly I waiver, intoxicated with
His exquisite intentions.
Catching my breath, I slide my Queen
Across the threatening squares,
Her sacrifice testimony to
My unspoken desire.
We thrust and parry,
Purpose yielding to passion,
Cool deliberation overcome by
Subtle intrusions of mystery.
The boundaries of the board
Cannot contain the spirit of the game,
Its hidden agenda to merge
The black and the white,
To render oneness from
Irreconcilable opposition.
The play intrigues, enchants, infuriates;
Seduction of the Soul.
Only capture of my King
Brings release from this
Sweet anguish, this aching rapture.
Momentary relief, as he begins again,
Begins once more to know me,
To captivate me move by move,
And mate me with his smile.

~ May 1995


6 comments:

John Eaton said...

Fine lines, Trish.

This would make a very cool song,

John

Trish said...

Thanks, John! Happy long weekend to you!

big mike said...

Interesting, even though it's been awhile since I played chess. Or checkers, even.

Trish said...

What makes you think it's about chess? ;-)

big mike said...

Ohhhhhh, I get it.

"Thrust and parry" - you're using chess as an extended metaphor for fencing ;-)

Trish said...

Ahhh, Mike, you have seen to the very depths of my passion!