Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The Gift of the Eye of the Beholder

It happens that, after you've searched every inch of the interior corners and crevices of yourself and are yet left wondering "Who am I?" you suddenly become aware of the people in your life and their ideas of who you are. You bump into the acquaintance who had once marveled at your genius in improv class and you see the spark of admiration still in her eyes. You reread an email from the friend who encouraged you to pursue your dream, the dream you thought would certainly die unrealized because you, in fact, had no real talent. With new eyes you see the glimmer of a reality made manifest in the words written and offered up not only in friendship but in doubtless honor of the truth. And then you begin to see yourself through the eyes of your friends and lovers and with respect and even awe you behold, at last, the answer to your question.

2 comments:

CrystalChick said...

This was a nice read, thanks for sharing that. I'm very new to blogging. I found yours when I was clicking on some common movies... Chocolat we had in common.
Just stopping by to say hello!

Abe Burnett said...

I've certainly had that experience. I don't think all that much of myself, so it's been surprising to have buddies of mine tell me, frankly, that they think I could get any girl I wanted. I'm always inclined look behind me, wondering if they're addressing such statements to someone else. Or those cases when others tell me out of the blue that I should act (when it's my deepest unknown passion--but also one of my biggest secrets; because who's actually serious about such passions/dreams as an "adult."). Or when the most objective people in my life, the most pragmatic people I know tell me that I should follow my dreams; that the "rules" don't apply to me.

As you say, our own perspective of ourselves is perhaps the most limited perspective of everyone we know.